Apple-Carrot Slaw with Pistachios
Sweet, crunchy and colorful, a vibrant slaw like this will be an all-star at your next potluck spread. I prefer to use freshly julienned carrots and apples because I love their sunny flavors. —Linda Schend, Kenosha, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makes8 servings (1 cup each)
- 6 cups julienned carrots (about 9 ounces)
- 4 medium Fuji, Gala or other sweet apples, julienned
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pistachios, divided
- Dash salt
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add 1/2 cup pistachios; toss to combine. Season with salt to taste. Refrigerate, covered, until serving. Just before serving, sprinkle with remaining pistachios.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 171 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Apple-Carrot Slaw with Pistachios in Taste of Home Special Interest Publications 2013