- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded peeled apple
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- In a small mixing bowl, beat shortening and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg white until combined. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; add to shortening mixture just until combined. Fold in apple and pecans (batter will be thick).
- Divide between two 8-oz. ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2-3 minutes or until thickened, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in lemon juice and butter until blended. Spoon over warm cakes. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forApple Cakes with Lemon Sauce
"yummy! I added some vanilla icecream too:) simple, easy recipe!!!"
"very moist and very good. Just like my grandma's raw apple cake!"
"It was ok. I thought it would be better"
"YUM, can't wait to try this tomorrow as a neighbor gave me some cooking apples."