Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in apples and walnuts.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in sugars and cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over warm cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 443 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 379mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 29, 2014
May 13, 2014
Jan 21, 2014
I searched for...and finally found...a apple cake that wasn't huge or have oil involved. This is lovely. I used four mini-loaf pans--buttered/sugared. I will definitely double or triple with sugared muffin tins!I did not do the butter sauce.
Oct 19, 2013
This Cake reminds me of the old days when I was little that my mom would have tired. I made it and loved it today I am making a double batch of it, I thought it was missing an ingredient but to my surprise it was very good, I even added a little more cinnamon because I love cinnamon. This is a great fall recipe and will make it for Thanksgiving and Christmas
Sep 22, 2013
Didn't have the same success as the other raters. It didn't turn out evenly and I agree with earlier comment that the sauce had too much butter. Was disappointed.
Dec 3, 2012
the cake was good but the sauce had waaay too much butter it in, it actually floated to the top so I threw it out. Certainly I could find a better recipe for sauce :-(
Oct 20, 2011
Simple, delicious, and so very moist. This is one of the best cake I have ever made. Has been added to my recipe file. Thank you for sharing it!
Jul 28, 2011
Moist and delicious!
Nov 8, 2010
Great cake recipe. Lots of flavor and nice that it's not too big.
Sep 16, 2010
absolutely wonderful, we all loved it. Just right for small families.