Apple Cake with Buttermilk Sauce
I wish I could tell you this cake is a "keeper"...but in our family it never lasts long enough for me to find out! I prefer to use Cortland apples when I bake this cake, but any firm baking apple will work.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups chopped apple
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- BUTTERMILK SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Whipped cream, optional
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add sugar, oil, vanilla and orange juice. On low speed, blend in flour mixture. Fold in apple, walnuts and coconut. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 hours or until the cake tests done. Invert cake onto a large plate or platter. Deeply puncture the top of the warm cake with a skewer or pick.
- In a small saucepan, bring all sauce ingredients to a boil, stirring frequently. Immediately spoon 1-1/4 cups of sauce slowly over the top of the cake, then pour the remainder down the sides. Cool. Serve with whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 536 calories, 30g fat (8g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Apple Cake with Buttermilk Sauce in Country Extra September 1992
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.