Apple Butter French Toast
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min.
- 6 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons thawed apple juice concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place bread in a 9-in. square baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine egg substitute, milk, apple juice concentrate and vanilla. Pour over bread and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and the edges are golden brown. Sprinkle with almonds. Combine apple butter and cinnamon; serve with French toast.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with commercially prepared apple butter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 154 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 224mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 14, 2013
I made a version of this recipe this morning. Since I didn't start them last night I decided to take the batter and whisk the apple butter to the liquid ingredients and make the french toast the tradition way on the stovetop. I made the recipe for my 2 y/o nephew and husband and they really liked the flavor with the apple butter. I did omit the almonds and used whole wheat bread.
Dec 7, 2013
Love the idea of making ahead for Christmas morning,.I split the bread and put in a tablespoon of softened cream cheese mixed wkth apple butter before pouring the liquid over to sit overnight. Nice idea to have something ready to go in the morning for overnight guests or Christmas morning when everyone is opening presents.
Jan 10, 2010
This was scrumptious, I've used my homemade Apple Pie Jam on top, and I've made it with my homemade Caramel Apple Butter both times it turned out wonderful with everyone raving! I also used real eggs. Thanks for a great recipe!
Dec 3, 2009
I wonder if it would still be good if I just made it on top of the stove like I usually do. It would still have the apple flavor. Sounds really really good.
Jul 13, 2008
omg...this is so good!