Apple Butter and Pumpkin Pie
I'm proud of this pie because I made it up in my head, and it turned out very well! It's a little different from traditional pumpkin or pecan pie, which makes it a nice holiday surprise. —Sherry Little, Sherwood, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- Sugared Cranberries (see Editor’s Note)
- Toasted chopped pecans
- Sweetened whipped cream
- In a bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Reserve one-fourth of the dough for cutouts; shape into a disk. Shape remaining dough into a separate disk. Wrap each disk in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll large disk of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Roll small disk to 1/4-in. thickness; cut into desired shapes with floured 1-in. cookie cutters. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Refrigerate crust and cutouts while preparing filling.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Mix eggs, apple butter, pumpkin, brown sugar, salt and spices; stir in cream. Pour into crust. Bake on a lower oven rack 15 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake until center is almost set, 30-35 minutes. Bake pastry cutouts on an upper oven rack until golden brown, 12-15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack; serve or refrigerate within 2 hours. Decorate pie with cutouts and toppings as desired.
Editor's Note: To make Sugared Cranberries, place 1/3 cup sugar in a small bowl. In a microwave, warm 1 tablespoon light corn syrup, about 10 seconds; toss with 1 cup fresh cranberries. Add to sugar and toss; let stand on waxed paper until set, about 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 454 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 437mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as APPLE BUTTER PUMPKIN PECAN PIE in Country Woman October/November 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.