- 4 slices white bread, toasted
- 3 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Tear toast into bite-size pieces; place in a greased 1-1/2-qt. casserole. Top with apples. Combine sugars and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. Drizzle with butter.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour, stirring after 30 minutes. Serve warm with cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forApple Brown Betty
"I used this recipe as a go-by, making a few changes: I omitted the white sugar, leaving just 1/2 cup of brown, and replaced one slice of bread with a half-cup of walnuts. It came out delicious, and we did not miss the omitted sugar.I served it topped with warm custard sauce."
"I recall preparing this recipe when it was featured in Taste of Home! If baking apples aren't available, I'll use other firm apples such as Gala, Honey Crisp or Fuji besides the Granny Smith apples which I basically use for baking! One time, I had prepared this dessert for a friend who has a sugar sensitivity (NOT diabetic, though)! I'd used 1/2 to 3/4 cup unsweetened apple juice and 1/4 cup of maple syrup-the secret with these natural liquid sweetening agents is using just enough so that ingredients don't get soggy and "swim"!I've also prepared this recipe using the sugar called for in the recipe! delowenstein"
"I haven't made this yet, but I gzve been looking for this recipe for a long time! I can't wait to try it!"
"Few ingredients, easy to prepare and most importantly it is delicious!!! It is also fantastic topped with reg or choc cool whip. Will make this again many more times."
"I have had this recipe since it was published back in the early 90's. It is one of my family's favorite and is alway on hand for when company drops by."