Apples add fruity flavor to the gravy that's served with this tender herb-rubbed pork roast. "Try serving it with baked apple slices, boiled potatoes or French bread", suggests Diane Hixon from Niceville, Florida.
Recommended: Top 10 Dinner Recipes Under 500 Calories
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless rolled pork loin roast (3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen unsweetened apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the thyme, sage and pepper; rub over pork. In a Dutch oven, brown meat on all sides in oil; remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute onion and garlic until tender. Add the apple, apple juice concentrate and salt; bring to a boil. Return meat to the pan. Cover and bake at 325° for 55-75 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°, basting occasionally with juices.Remove to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Pour cooking liquid into a measuring cup; skim off fat. Cool cooking liquid slightly; place in a blender or food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Serve with the roast. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Apple Braised Pork in Light & Tasty August/September 2004