Apple Braised Pork
Apples add fruity flavor to the gravy that's served with this tender herb-rubbed pork roast. "Try serving it with baked apple slices, boiled potatoes or French bread", suggests Diane Hixon from Niceville, Florida.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 55 min. + standing
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless rolled pork loin roast (3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup thawed unsweetened apple juice concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the thyme, sage and pepper; rub over pork. In a Dutch oven, brown meat on all sides in oil; remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute onion and garlic until tender. Add the apple, apple juice concentrate and salt; bring to a boil. Return meat to the pan.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 55-75 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°, basting occasionally with juices.Remove to a serving platter and keep warm. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Pour cooking liquid into a measuring cup; skim off fat. Cool cooking liquid slightly; place in a blender or food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Serve with the roast.
Nutrition Facts3 ounce-weight: 219 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 144mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Apple Braised Pork in Light & Tasty August/September 2004