- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Place chicken in a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the broth, cider, vinegar, lemon juice and seasonings; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forApple Balsamic Chicken
"Very simple and tasty; I usually have all ingredients on hand. To a 4 qt. slow cooker I added baby carrots and 3 medium cut up potatoes and 8 chicken thighs. I did not have enough balsamic vinegar so I used 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup apple juice in my double recipe. I also did not have enough thyme, so I substituted the remainder with basil. It was done by 4 1/2 hours which was good because at that point our power went out. I was therefore unable to thicken the liquid. But I really don't think it needed it."
"Really flavorful and very simple! I used a maple-infused balsamic vinegar which added a touch of sweetness. If I only had regular balsamic vinegar, I think I would use more apple juice or maybe a touch of honey. I didn't have thyme so I used rosemary and it tasted great. I also cooked this on the stove top and it translated nicely--turned into a 30-minute meal. The next time I make it, I'll use boneless, skinless chicken breasts."
"did not like this one as much as I do other recipes."
"This was good! There is enough sauce to have rice, couscous, or pasta on the side."
"I made this tonight and it was just so so. I used chicken breasts (boneless) and cooked it in the oven. I don't know if that would make that much difference, but I won't be making this again."
"Did not get sweet flavor at all, only strong vinegar flavor. Will try again with less vinegar and more apple."
"This was a hit for my wife and kids. I didn't have apple juice so I substituted in one cored apple, skin on, cubed it up and cooked it with the chicken. I also used 6 fresh garlic cloves crushed instead of garlic powder. I used 8 boneless, skinless thighs and it was enough for four people with seconds. I served this with no-yolk egg noodles which soaked up the gravy/sauce and steamed broccoli."
"I really liked this but my husband thought it was so-so. Which is odd, because he usually likes the vinegar based flavors and I don't, but in this case, I liked it better. Used bone in thighs and drums. I may make this again."
"I think this recipe is amazing! Made it tonight for me and the hubby and it was a hit! We try to eat paleo style so I used coconut flour and it was great!"