Apple and Pear Topping
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium pear, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large skillet, combine the apples, pear, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons water, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-7 minutes or until fruit is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve over ice cream. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 197 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 45mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 starch.
Apr 8, 2020
I soaked ½ C raisins in ¼ C Maple Whisky for an hour . Then added the raisins to the simmering fruit and used the leftover whisky in place of the water in the recipe. I calculated the new nutrition for ½ C: 206 calories, 1.7g total fat, .8g sat fat, 5.1g cholesterol, 42.1g sodium, 47.7g carbs, 42g sugar, 2.3g fiber and 2 g protein ( if I did my math right). So I thought I would leave it at that. However, I wrongfully assumed I had “cooked off” the alcohol , thus eliminating most of the calories and carbs. ( in the ¼ C of alcohol there were 206 calories and 22 carbs). A percentage will remain. For a newly diagnosed diabetic I am adjusting. So to enjoy my delicious topping I will only have ¼ C on my sugar free icecream !!!!
Mar 23, 2015
Delicious! I served this over Ben & Jerry's Cinnamon Roll ice cream.