Pie crust is stuffed with a sauted apple and onion mixture and an all-natural Jones breakfast sausage patty for a satisfying start to your morning. Recipe provided by Jones Sausage
Recommended: Handheld Recipes for Busy People On-The-Go
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled & diced
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon herb blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Dash red pepper flakes
- Pie crust (enough for a 2-crust pie) rolled and cut into 8 rounds, 4-inches each
- 1 (5-7 oz) package Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Golden Brown Breakfast Sausage Patties
- 1/2 cup gruyere or sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat butter and olive oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced apple, onion, herbs, salt, pepper & red pepper flakes. Saute until onion is translucent and apple has softened. Remove from heat.
- Space 4, 4-inch pie crust rounds on the baking sheet, 2-inches apart. Place 1 sausage patty on each round, top with 1 tablespoon apple/onion mixture. If desired, sprinkle cheese on top of apple/onion mixture.
- In small bowl, whisk together egg and water. Brush egg wash around outer rim of each bottom pie crust. Cut a few slits in middle of remaining 4 pie crusts and drape over top of prepared hand pies. Gently pull bottom crust edge of each pie up and over top crust creating a sealed edge all the way around. (Be sure to tuck top crust into bottom crust.)
- Brush entire hand pie with egg wash and slightly crimp edges with fork. If desired, sprinkle top with coarse salt and/or black pepper.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings
Originally published as Apple and Breakfast Sausage Hand Pies in Jones Sausage 2016