Apple Almond Stuffing
Everyone always enjoys the combination of unique ingredients in this recipe. The currants and raisins give it a nice, sweet flavor.
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 70 min.
Makes16 servings (12 cups stuffing)
- 1 loaf (1 pound) sliced bread
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon dried savory
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- Cut bread into 1/2-in. cubes and place in a single layer on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 225° for 30-40 minutes or until partially dried, tossing occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onions, apple, ham, celery and seasonings in butter for 15 minutes or until onions and apples are tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bread cubes, almonds, currants, broth and juice; toss well.
- Place in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through and lightly browned.
Editor's Note: This is suitable to stuff a 14- to 16-pound turkey.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 248 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 592mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Apple-Almond Stuffed Turkey in The Taste of Home Cookbook 1st edition
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.