Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) sliced bread
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon dried savory
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- Cut bread into 1/2-in. cubes and place in a single layer on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 225° for 30-40 minutes or until partially dried, tossing occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onions, apple, ham, celery and seasonings in butter for 15 minutes or until onions and apples are tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bread cubes, almonds, currants, broth and juice; toss well.
- Place in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through and lightly browned.
Editor's Note: This is suitable to stuff a 14- to 16-pound turkey.
3/4 cup: 248 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 592mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.