Apple-Almond Stuffed Turkey Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) sliced bread
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium tart apples, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon dried savory
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1 cup turkey or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1. Cut bread into 1/2-in. cubes and place in a single layer on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 225° for 30-40 minutes, tossing occasionally until partially dried.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute the next 10 ingredients in butter until onions and apples are tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bread cubes, almonds, currants, broth and juice; toss well. Just before baking, stuff the turkey. Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until thermometer reads 185°. When the turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with foil and baste if needed. Yield: 12 servings (12 cups stuffing).
Editor's Note: Stuffing may be baked separately in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour; uncover and bake 10 minutes more.
1 each: 778 calories, 30g fat (10g saturated fat), 230mg cholesterol, 973mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 87g protein.