Apple Almond Pilaf
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup sliced blanched almonds
- 2 pitted dried plums, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 4 dried apple slices, halved
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Melt butter in a nonstick saucepan. Add almonds; cook and stir over medium heat until lightly browned. Stir in plums, raisins and apple slices; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 203 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 28mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 31, 2019
I have made this recipe for years. It's one of our family favorites that I use often because it's made with simple ingredients that I usually have on hand. I love sweet rice recipes and this is a good amount of sweetness without overpowering the flavor of the rice. It's a perfect side for chicken or pork with a sweet glaze. Toasting the almonds is important and you can even toast the rice to give even more toasted flavor. Just a couple of tips from my experience. 1. Double the recipe if you're serving 4 or more. Everyone loves it and it goes fast! 2. Feel free to substitute fresh or frozen apples if you don't have dried ones on hand. They cook up nicely in with the rice so you don't have to worry about them being too crunchy.
Jan 24, 2013
I found this in an old TOH mag next to a yogurt biscuit recipe I use faithfully...it was great! What a different flavor the honey adds to the rice. My toddler loved it too, which is always a hit. I'll be making this again and passing it on.