Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 6 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 6 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Combine apples and carrots; place in a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Drizzle with orange juice. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and nutmeg; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apple mixture. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until the carrots are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 150 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 45mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Jul 29, 2016
I loved this dish. We sort of viewed it as dessert, though we served it with the main meal. There's nothing I would change. We had it with pork chops, asparagus, mashed potatoes/gravy, and stuffing. The apples in it, with the topping, taste like apple crisp, and the carrots are a tasty "surprise". No dessert needed when you serve this.
Jan 28, 2014
Delicious and different. I used macs and I probably would recommend a firmer apple. My apple slices were practically dissolved into nothing while the carrots were tender, but not mushy. I also cut down on the flour a bit, since some people thought it was a little too floury tasting. Overall, very good and a nice change of pace.
Nov 3, 2009
I made this dish to bring to a friend’s house for a family dinner. We served it along side pulled-pork. It received rave reviews. I would recommend the tip on counteracting the blandness; adding a little bit of brown sugar and cinnamon really enhanced the flavor and aroma. If you’re not so much of a cooked carrot lover, you’d probably like this because the carrots are tender-crisp and blend in well with the apples. It tasted like a not-so-sweet-dessert. Even my picky 10-year-old son cleaned his plate.
Dec 4, 2008
To counteract blandness, try mixing one quarter cup packed dark brown sugar with one half teaspoon cinnamon; then after drizzling with orange juice, sprinkle with the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture before baking.
Mar 13, 2008
The topping was good, but the rest of the casserole was a bit bland.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.