- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 2 medium apples, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry; roll into a 12-in. square. Cut pastry into four squares; place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle half of each square with cheese to within 1/4 in. of edges; top with apples. Fold pastry over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal. Bake 16-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a bowl, whisk oil and lemon juice until blended; add arugula and toss to coat. Serve with tarts. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forApple, White Cheddar & Arugula Tarts
"The picture is misleading. It looks like folded tart. It is not. It is an open face tart. Think of it as an upside down salad. The recipe itself is bland and if I were to prepare if again I would change it quite a bit. I would cook the puff pastry by itself. The apples made it soggy. Then would saut? the apples with some onions and some thyme. I would then put the apple onion thyme mixture on top of the prepared puffs. Top with the cheese and return to the oven to melt and brown cheese. The idea of the recipe is good; it just needs some fixing up."
"Based on the picture, there seems to be a step missing in this recipe.The directions do not indicate if a separate piece of puff pastry should be placed on top of the 4 squares you make (which would necessitate 4 more), or if you should fold the pastry squares. I went with the latter option and used an egg wash to seal the tarts."