- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 pounds tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, blackberries, butter and lemon juice. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to fruit mixture and toss to coat. Place in crust.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with cream; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 55-65 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forApple & Blackberry Pie
"AWESOME!! I'll be making this again and again and again. I used frozen blackberries and it turned out fine."
"A runny sloppy mess. Baked 80 minutes and the apples still weren't done. My oven is calibrated correctly so that is not the problem. Anyway a waste of good fruit."