- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch rubbed sage
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In a small skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and seasonings; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the baking mix and milk to form a soft dough. Turn dough onto a well-floured surface; knead lightly for 10-12 times. Pat into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, pushing dough up sides of dish to form a shallow rim. Arrange tomato slices over top. Spread with topping; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forAppetizer Tomato Cheese Bread
"This is the first time I prepared this recipe! When I sampled it, I did find it very tasty and quite moist! I used 1/8 tsp. ground sage and 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning, CRUSHED between my hands. I did not have regular tomatoes, so I used a 14.5-oz can WELL- DRAINED Italian-style STEWED tomatoes, then a 14.5-oz. can of diced tomatoes, drained well. I found that it WAS not easy to knead the dough; I greased and floured my baking pan, and pressed the dough into prepared pan, using enough flour to evenly distribute the dough! The next time, I just may use MORE biscuit mix and gauge the amount of milk to add! It took me a while to spread the dough in the pan! I did allow the dough to sit after mixing it with the milk! I used a medium saucepan to saut? 1 medium onion, finely diced with the butter until tender. I arranged the canned tomatoes evenly over the dough, then spooned the sour cream mixture over the tomatoes. I used 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. paprika, rather than just sprinkle the paprika over the mixture! I baked 25 minutes at 400o F. I allowed the bread to really cool off before I cut it! It did cut nicely! I'd say that I got at least 12 to 15 servings! I put the squares in a plastic container with a cover and chilled the squares in the container. Thank you for sharing this recipe! I thought that this would be nice to take to a holiday party-it certainly has the red color! delowenstein"