Appetizer Crab Pizza
Guests will know you fussed when they bite into a wedge of this rich, golden pizza with a made-from-scratch crust. Cream cheese, crabmeat and herbs make up the yummy topping.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
Makes2 pizzas (8-10 servings each)
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed or 2 cups chopped imitation crabmeat
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt. In a saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. On a floured surface, roll each piece into a 13-in. circle; transfer to two 12-in. pizza pans. Build up edge slightly. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork.
- Bake crusts at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Combine the cream cheese, crab, milk, feta cheese, basil, oregano, and garlic powder; spread mixture over each crust. Sprinkle each with 1/2 cup Swiss cheese. Bake 10-12 minutes longer or until crust is golden and cheese is melted. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 167 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Appetizer Crab Pizza in Country Woman Christmas 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.