Appalachian Corn Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a small saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil until tender; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and remaining oil. Stir in corn, cheese, salsa, chives and reserved onion. Stir into the dry ingredients just until combined.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and top is lightly browned. Cut into squares; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 229 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Nov 13, 2017
This is good and the only thing I added was some chopped up jalapeno peppers. Now for the comment that southerners don't put sugar in their cornbread, well, poo! I am a 6th generation born and bred southerner and I put some sugar in my cornbread, always have, always will. But whatever "floats your boat", then by all means do it and don't criticize what others like to do.
Feb 10, 2014
When I made this I left the corn out because I used corn salsa, still tasty!
Apr 18, 2013
I made this cornbread last night. I shared it with my 89 yr. old neighbor. He absolutely loved it. So did my husband, who is very finicky. I'm from the south and love a bit of sugar in the cornbread. This is amazingly tastier than a simple cornbread recipe and will be my "go to" for cornbread!!
Sep 24, 2012
This is an interesting corn bread recipe, very different.
May 5, 2011
Our family loves it. Great taste and a nice kick with the salsa.
Jan 11, 2011
Sounds like mexican cornbread. People in the South do not put sugar in their cornbread.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.