Any-Season Fruit Bowl
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + chilling Cook: 25 min. + chilling
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup lime or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 3 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 2 grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 2 large apples, cubed
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced
- 1 pound green grapes
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, sugar, lime juice, anise and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; cover and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Combine fruit in a large bowl; add dressing and toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 143 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 29, 2017
Excellent recipe, though it makes way more than 18 servings. The anise seed was a perfect accent. I used fresh pineapple...with all that fresh fruit I wasn't going to add canned ingredients to it. I served it to 15 at brunch and got many compliments. I will make this again. Thank you, Taste of Home
Mar 30, 2012
I would cut the amount of sugar by half, it was way too much...and if you don't like the taste of black licorice, leave the anise out.
Dec 1, 2009
I would leave out the anise extract. I am not that found of the black licorice flavor and apparently neither did the other 25 people at my breakfast last year. Then I would have to rate it again.
Dec 12, 2007
Nice Summer Dish!