- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup lime or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 3 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 2 grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 2 large apples, cubed
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced
- 1 pound green grapes
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, sugar, lime juice, anise and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; cover and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Combine fruit in a large bowl; add dressing and toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Yield: 16-18 servings.
Reviews forAny-Season Fruit Bowl
"Excellent recipe, though it makes way more than 18 servings. The anise seed was a perfect accent. I used fresh pineapple...with all that fresh fruit I wasn't going to add canned ingredients to it. I served it to 15 at brunch and got many compliments. I will make this again. Thank you, Taste of Home"
"I would cut the amount of sugar by half, it was way too much...and if you don't like the taste of black licorice, leave the anise out."
"I would leave out the anise extract. I am not that found of the black licorice flavor and apparently neither did the other 25 people at my breakfast last year. Then I would have to rate it again."
"Nice Summer Dish!"