Antipasto Focaccia Sandwiches
Cooking for a crowd? Make these Italian-style sandwiches! I love that they are prepared and refrigerated hours in advance. Simply slice when ready to serve.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
Makes3 sandwiches (6 servings each)
- 1/2 pound Genoa salami, diced
- 1/2 pound deli ham, diced
- 1/2 pound pepperoni, diced
- 1 block (8 ounces) provolone cheese, diced
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing
- 3 loaves (1 pound each) focaccia bread
- 3 cups torn leaf lettuce
- In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients; add salad dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Cut each loaf of focaccia in half horizontally. Hollow out bottom halves, leaving 3/4-in. shells. Stir antipasto mixture; spoon into shells. Replace bread tops. Wrap sandwiches tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Just before serving, add lettuce to sandwiches. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 421 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 1346mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Antipasto Salad Sandwich in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2007