- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (10 to 12 large eggs)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Fresh or silk roses or mint, optional
- Sift flour and 3/4 cup sugar four times; set aside. In a bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla and salt on high speed until soft peaks form but mixture is still moist and glossy. Add remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour mixture, a fourth at a time, over egg white mixture; fold gently, using about 15 strokes for each addition. Pour into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan.
- Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert the pan; cool completely. Remove to a serving plate. Combine cream, sugar, cinnamon and ginger; frost top and sides of cake. Decorate with roses and mint if desired. Refrigerate or serve immediately. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forAnniversary Angel Food
"Are the roses edible? Or are they piped?"