VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon anise extract
- 4 drops each pink and red food coloring
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup water; let stand 5 minutes. In a small saucepan, bring sugar and remaining water to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in gelatin mixture until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in extract.
- Divide mixture between two small bowls; tint one pink and the other red with food coloring. Transfer to two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm.
- Loosen sides from pan with a knife; turn onto a sugared board. Cut into 1/2-in. cubes; roll in additional sugar. Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature 3-4 hours or until all sides are dry, turning every hour.
- To Make Ahead: Store candy in a covered container. Refrigerate for up to two weeks.
- Freezer Option: Freeze candy in an airtight container. To use, thaw, loosely covered, before serving. Yield: 1 pound.
Originally published as Anise Gumdrops in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p157