- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 prepared angel food cake (10 inches)
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup half-and-half cream, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter (no substitutes)
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping; set aside. Cut cake horizontally into two layers. Place the bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with cream cheese mixture. Replace top; refrigerate.
- In a saucepan, combine 3/4 cup of cream, sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt. Cook and stir until mixture reaches soft-ball stage (234°). Slowly add remaining cream. Cook and stir until mixture returns to soft-ball stage (234°). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool. Drizzle over cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forAngel Food Cake With Caramel Sauce
"Certainly didn't taste bad but for me it just wasn't worth the work."
"LOve this dessert. It is rich-but you can also substiute the cararmel sauce with a fruit sauce which make it not as rich tasting. I will definitely make it again."
"It sounded good but WAY too rich!! Not something I would make again. Neither DH or I were impressed. Looks pretty but there are recipes out there that can be this pretty taste better. Sorry."