- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 1 dozen), room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, extracts and salt at high speed. While beating, gradually add sugar; beat until sugar is dissolved and mixture forms stiff peaks. Combine confectioners' sugar and flour; gradually fold into the batter, 1/4 cup at a time. Gently spoon mixture into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. With a metal spatula or knife, cut through the batter to break large air pockets. Bake at 350° for about 35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake in pan to cool completely. When cool, remove from pan. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forAngel Food Cake
"This cake was wonderful! I cut the recipe in half for the two of us and baked it in a 9x5-inch loaf pan. It was delicious and I will definitely be making it again!"
"The best Angel Food cake recipe I've tried. So moist! Seemed time consuming but then it's been a long time since I made one. We raise chickens and our eggs are small. Took 20 to get 1 1/2 cup of egg whites but we have plenty of yokes for ice cream = D After a couple of days there was moisture under the cake but was sweet.. no problem. Just lick off your fingers! We really love it!"
"I love angel food cake so trying this recipe was a must. I followed the directions exactly except I baked mine in two 9" loaf pans as opposed to a tube pan. I reduced the baking time by about 4 minutes. The cakes were delicious, soft and flavorful. They have a much lighter,moister texture then the store bought cake mixes. My husband and I didn't even need whip cream on ours. It was perfect on its own."
"First of all, the first instruction tells you to "Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together twice; set aside." The next instruction says to "Gradually add sugar....Gradually fold in flour mixture." How does one gradually add sugar after you've mixed all your sugar in with the flour already?"Second of all, an angel food cake made like this has to stick to the sides of the pan, or it would not rise. The egg mixture must cling to and climb the edges of the pan, or it will fall. (Keep in mind, angel food cake does not contain leavening ingredients, just those stiff egg whites." To clean, just soak in boiling hot water for a bit, and the sugar will melt and dissolve off."
"Best Angel Food cake ever. Period!"
"This is almost like the Angel Food cake that my Great Aunt made. She used a bakers dozen eggs (which is 13 eggs). She also put the tube pan a 425 degree oven while making the batter. She also used cake flour not regular flour. She also sifted the cake flour and powder sugar 3 times together. Once mixed as stated, she put in the batter and baked the cake minutes (no longer no less). Always comes out fantastic. The preheating of the pan take down the baking time."
"Very moist and tender!! Not rubbery like box mix angel food cakes"
"This was very tasty but it stuck to my pan."
"If I don't own a tube pan, can I just use a bunt pan?"