Andrea’s Stuffed Mushrooms
My husband and I live in the Midwest, but he is originally from New York. This was his favorite Thanksgiving appetizer/side dish, so I asked his mother for the recipe. Now I make it every year in honor of his childhood home. My mother-in-law taught me to use a grapefruit spoon to easily stuff the mushrooms. I sprinkle on a bit of smoked paprika to add a little spice and festive color. —Sara Drost, Ste. Genevieve, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 24 large fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, halved
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove stems from mushrooms; set caps aside. Place stems and onion in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped.
- In a large skillet, heat 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion mixture; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a small bowl; cool slightly. Stir in bread crumbs, cheese, egg and cream. Stuff into mushroom caps.
- Place in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Dot with remaining butter. Bake 30-35 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Sprinkle with paprika.
Originally published as Andrea's Stuffed Mushrooms in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017