Ancho Garlic Steaks with Summer Salsa
The first time I tasted this, I was amazed how well the blueberries and watermelon go with the peppery steak. Use whatever fruits are in season so you can serve this anytime. —Veronica Callaghan, Glastonbury, Connecticut
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 boneless beef top loin steaks (1-1/4 inches thick and 8 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup seeded diced watermelon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Rub steaks with chili pepper and garlic salt. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 7-9 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°).
- In a bowl, combine salsa ingredients. Cut steak into slices; serve with salsa.
Editor's NoteTop loin steak may be labeled as strip steak, Kansas City steak, New York strip steak, ambassador steak or boneless club steak in your region.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup salsa: 195 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 442mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Ancho Garlic Steaks with Summer Salsa in Simple & Delicious August/September 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.