Ancho Garlic Steaks with Summer Salsa
The first time I tasted this, I was amazed how well the blueberries and watermelon went with the peppery steak. Use whatever fruits are in season so you can serve this anytime. —Veronica Callaghan, Glastonbury, Connecticut
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 boneless beef top loin steaks (1-1/4 inches thick and 8 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup seeded diced watermelon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Rub steaks with chili pepper and garlic salt. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°), 7-9 minutes on each side.
- In a bowl, combine salsa ingredients. Cut steak into slices; serve with salsa.