- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small saucepan, bring water and cornmeal to a boil. Cook and stir until cornmeal absorbs the water and pulls away from the pan, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat; stir in molasses and butter. Cool to 110°-115°.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add cornmeal mixture, 2 cups flour and salt; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 4-6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake until browned, 35-40 minutes (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly). Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
1 piece: 155 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.