- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp; drain. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forAmish Breakfast Casserole
"It was ok, not bad but not super."
"Made this on a beach trip. Used potatoes o'brien, and added mushrooms, used shredded bacon cheddar cheese and sharp cheddar. This was fantastic! So many different things you could add. Loved it!"
"I made this as the recipe directed (except I prepared my bacon on a sheet pan in the oven and then added it along with drippings to the skillet with onion), and it was delicious. The first batch went to the kids at church, so my own family requested a batch for home. Simple to prepare. Hearty and Satisfying."
"I made this with ham and green chilis so my husband could grab a scoop and heat it up quick before heading off to work in the mornings. He loved it and thought the recipe deserved 4 and a half stars. He said he left the half star off because there might be a little too much cheese. Will try with bacon and less cheese next time!"
"Is there a substitute for the cottage cheese? I'm not too fond of the texture of cottage cheese. This recipe sounds great otherwise."
"Served this for guests and everyone enjoyed it. I used hot turkey sausage instead of bacon and Monterey Jack cheese instead of Swiss. I seasoned the eggs and threw in some red bell pepper because I had it on hand. I made it the day before and did not thaw the hash browns per another reviewer's suggestion. Worked great. Next time I'll add some diced green chiles or hot peppers to spice it up a bit more. Really good!"
"I made this for Saturday dinner and my son and I like it. I substituted sausage for bacon. The next time I think I might add green pepper. Definitely a keeper."
"I made this and it was a huge hit. Substituted sausage for bacon since I didn't have bacon. Added chopped up red pepper instead of onions as well. Served with homemade biscuits and fruit. Will make again."
"Recently made this one; it was very good. Will definitely make again."