- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in orange juice until smooth. Add the blueberries, nutmeg and salt; cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Cool.
- In a small bowl, whip cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peak forms. Serve cake with sauce and whipped cream. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews forAmerica's Birthday Cake
"We're red velvet fans. This was a nice change of pace from my regular red velvet with cream cheese frosting. Thanks for sharing!"
"Excellent flavor and texture - my guests loved it. I used 1 oz red color and rinsed the bottle with water and used it to equal 1/4 cup of liquid."
"Has anyone tried using the red velvet cake mix for this? If it works as well, I would love to try the sauce etc."
"Use an equal amount of softened, unsalted butter. I can't stand shortening either, and always sub using sofened butter. You could also add extra buttermilk to equal the amount of liquid red food coloring, and then use paste food coloring. That's what I would do We don't care for Red Velvet cake either as they're so tasteless, unless you just make a regular chocolate cake of some kind, and then add the food coloring to make it more of a red"
"This is really just your bassic Red Velvet cake..not one of my favorites. However the sauce looks like a real keeper."
"i only use paste c oloring how would i sub this for the liquid"
"I DON'T LIKE TO USE SHORTENING, WHAT ELSE COULD I USE??"
"I quadrupled this recipe and made it for dinner at the homeless shelter where I volunteer. Everybody loved it! It was so beautiful, and tasted just as great! As far as the food coloring goes, we used 3 bottles for the 4 cakes, and they were very red!"