This sparkling fruit salad is versatile and pretty enough for dessert. I like to vary the fruits ... and will sometimes top them off with a dollop of ginger-laced whipped cream or yuletide star fruit garnish.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 3 medium navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 3 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1/2 cup ginger ale, chilled
- 1 tablespoon sliced star fruit, optional
- Drain pineapple; reserving juice. In a large bowl, add the bananas, pineapple, grapes, oranges and half the coconut; pour reserved juice over the fruit; lightly toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- Just before serving, pour ginger ale over salad and sprinkle with remaining coconut. Serve with a slotted spoon. Garnish with star fruit if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 185 calories, 5g fat (4g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 34mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Ambrosia Compote in Country Woman Christmas 2003