Amaretto Ice Cream
Ordinary ice cream just won't do for the holidays. So I make this cool and creamy amaretto ice cream featuring almonds and chocolate chips. Guests can't resist it!—Nancy Paul, Lakeview, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup Amaretto
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; set aside. In a small saucepan, heat milk to 175°, stirring constantly. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat.
- Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in Amaretto and extract. Fold in whipped cream and toasted almonds. Pour into a 9-in. square pan; cover and freeze for 4 hours or until firm.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Cut ice cream into squares. Drizzle each serving with chocolate; sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 386 calories, 27g fat (14g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 71mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Amaretto Ice Cream in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2009