Amaretto Custard Berry Parfaits
As if you need a reason to assemble a parfait, this indulgent custard concoction is an attractive way to sweeten the meal. —Susan Jordan, Roseburg, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 cups 2% milk
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon Amaretto
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 4 whole fresh strawberries
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, Amaretto and vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- Transfer custard to a small bowl; press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Just before serving, spoon 1/4 cup strawberries into each of four parfait glasses. Layer each with 1/3 cup custard, 1/4 cup raspberries and 1/3 cup custard. Top each with a whole strawberry.
Nutrition Facts1 parfait: 279 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 222mg cholesterol, 167mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Berries and Custard Summer Salutation in Healthy Cooking April/May 2012