Always-Tender Roasted Turkey
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 3 hours + standing
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 turkey (22 to 24 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 4 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- In a small bowl, combine butter and garlic. Pat turkey dry. Carefully loosen skin of turkey; rub butter mixture under the skin. Sprinkle salt and pepper over skin of turkey and inside cavity. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- Place flour in oven bag and shake to coat. Place oven bag in a roasting pan; add celery and onions. Place turkey, breast side up, over vegetables. Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag; close bag with tie provided.
- Bake at 350° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°. Let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Skim fat and thicken drippings if desired.
- If preparing turkey the day before, pour drippings into a measuring cup; skim fat. Arrange slices in an ungreased shallow roasting pan; pour drippings over turkey. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, bake at 350° for 45-65 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts8 ounce-weight: 512 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 230mg cholesterol, 375mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 67g protein.
Nov 28, 2013
Just finished Thanksgiving Dinner. I have tried several recipes over the years. I look no longer for a turkey recipe! This is it! I won't be trying any others. everyone loved it.
Nov 20, 2012
I've been making this for 3 years for every turkey I've ever made in my life (I was looking for an easy recipe for my first time) and I've used it on about 8 turkeys and they always come out perfectly! I recommend it to everyone!
Nov 14, 2012
I've been making this recipe for, I think, 6 years now and it has always turned out perfectly!
Nov 12, 2012
This recipe is almost identical to the one I have used for years. It took me a few years to perfect my turkey and now I see a version of my trials here on ToH! This is an easy way to have your turkey come out moist and delicious with very little fuss, allowing you to spend your time on other dishes. My 10 children love turkey baked this way!
Oct 7, 2011
I made this for my family for Thanksgiving last year and they are still talking about how moist it was! Not to mention the amazing flavor it has!