Almond Swedish Rusks
My dad fondly remembers the Swedish breads and baked goods his mother baked. A friend shared this recipe for these yummy cookies so I could surprise Dad with them. You could use this recipe to bake up some memories for your family.Sherri Henderson, Battle Ground, Washington
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup ground almonds
- Melted chocolate, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in almonds.
- On a greased baking sheet, shape the dough into two 11x3-1/2-in. rectangles. Bake at 325° for 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Carefully remove to wire racks; cool for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board; cut with a serrated knife into 3/4-in. slices. Place cut side down on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 325° for 10-12 minutes; turn slices over. Bake 10-12 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove to a wire racks to cool. Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 123 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.