Pears make a comforting side dish in this special recipe shared by Margaret Allen of Abingdon, Virginia. "We enjoy this hot fruit with a ham dinner," she says.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 6 medium pears, peeled, halved and cored
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup white grape juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Place pears, cut side down, in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine water and grape juice; pour over pears. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until tender.
- Turn the pears over. Combine almonds, sugar and extract; mix well. Spoon into pear cavities. Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 186 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Almond-Stuffed Pears in Taste of Home August/September 1997