Almond-Studded Chocolate Loaf
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped almonds, divided
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk egg, milk, brown sugar, oil and extract. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in 1 cup almonds and 3/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Spoon into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Sprinkle with remaining almonds and chips. Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 252 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 16, 2017
I always make a sweet bread tray for our community get together at Christmas time. I added this one this year.Not only was it unappealing in appearance, the texture was poor and the flavor dull.I think it would have been far more flavorful had chopped butterscotch chips, walnuts and vanilla extract been used instead of mini chocolate chips, almonds and almond extract.The only thing I may have done wrong was to over mix it by hand which could explain the "crumpet" like texture.Never the less, I won't try making it again.