With rich chocolate flavor and a nutty topping, slices of this luscious loaf could be served as a dessert or sweet snack. I've also been known to give it as a gift.—Lisa Varner, Charleston, South Carolina
Recommended: 25 Light Chocolate Dessert Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped almonds, divided
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk egg, milk, brown sugar, oil and extract. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in 1 cup almonds and 3/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Spoon into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Sprinkle with remaining almonds and chips. Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Almond-Studded Chocolate Loaf in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p47
Reviews forAlmond-Studded Chocolate Loaf
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 16, 2017
chocolate chips, almonds and almond extract.The only thing I may have done wrong was to over mix it by hand which could explain the "crumpet" like texture.Never the less, I won't try making it again."