Almond, Strawberry & Rhubarb Pie
Every bite of this delicious pie bursts with fresh spring flavor. The filling's subtle almond taste sets it apart from other strawberry-rhubarb pies.—Patricia Kile, Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup almond cake and pastry filling
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; stir in rhubarb and strawberries.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Fill with fruit mixture and dot with butter. Top with remaining pastry. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in the top; brush with egg white and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°; bake 35-45 minutes longer until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor’s Note: This recipe was tested with Solo brand cake and pastry filling. Look for it in the baking aisle. If using frozen fruit, measure fruit while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.