Almond Ring Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Sliced almonds, toasted, optional
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour and yeast. In a saucepan, heat the milk, butter, sugar and salt to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Add egg; beat for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn on a lightly floured surface; roll into an 18x12-in. rectangle. In a small bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth. Spread over dough to within 1 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet, sealing ends to form a ring. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and almond extract; whisk in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Drizzle over coffee cake. Sprinkle with almonds if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 429 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 247mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 23, 2017
Definitely a "keeper"! I prepared the dough in my bread machine , so all I had to do was roll the dough, put the filling on it, roll it up & let it rise & bake! Cut down on prep time & let me get other things done. Made it for my husband's 65th birthday for a special breakfast for him. We had leftovers Thanksgiving morning. Everyone loved it!
Jan 8, 2014
Very good cake. I am not very good with yeast recipes, but have to say this one turned out pretty good. I would definitely make this again. It was a simple recipe and not hard to make. You have to like almond, which I do. It is a "keeper" recipe.