- 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Sliced almonds, toasted, optional
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour and yeast. In a saucepan over low heat, bring milk, butter, sugar and salt to 120°-130°; stir into flour mixture. Add egg; beat for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto floured surface; knead 4-6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Beat filling ingredients until smooth. Punch dough down. Roll into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread filling over dough to within 1 in. of edges. Starting at the long end, roll up tightly and seal edges. Place on a greased baking sheet, sealing ends to form a ring. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Remove to a wire rack. Combine milk and extract; whisk in sugar until smooth. Drizzle over coffee cake. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forAlmond Ring Coffee Cake
"Definitely a "keeper"! I prepared the dough in my bread machine , so all I had to do was roll the dough, put the filling on it, roll it up & let it rise & bake! Cut down on prep time & let me get other things done. Made it for my husband's 65th birthday for a special breakfast for him. We had leftovers Thanksgiving morning. Everyone loved it!"
"Very good cake. I am not very good with yeast recipes, but have to say this one turned out pretty good. I would definitely make this again. It was a simple recipe and not hard to make. You have to like almond, which I do. It is a "keeper" recipe."