Almond Rice Seasoning Mix
With its lemon and dill flavors, this rice seasoning is ideal alongside any entree. I've been making it for more than 10 years and my family still loves it. Add cubes of leftover cooked chicken for a fast main course. —Linda Emery, Tuckerman, Arkansas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes3-4 servings per batch
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 4-1/2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months. Yield: 7 batches (1-1/3 cups total).
- To prepare rice: Shake seasoning mix before measuring. In a large saucepan, bring broth and 3 tablespoons mix to a boil. Add the rice, butter and lemon peel. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until broth is absorbed.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 204 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 557mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Almond Rice Seasoning Mix in Quick Cooking November/December 2002