With its lemon and dill flavors, this side dish is ideal alongside any entree. "I've been making it for more than 10 years and my family still loves it," Linda Emery writes from her Tuckerman, Arkansas home. "Add cubes of leftover cooked chicken for a fast main course," she suggests.
Recommended: 30 Fall Harvest Salads
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 4-1/2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Combine the first eight ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 3 months. Yield: 7 batches (1-1/3 cups total).
- To prepare rice: In a saucepan, bring broth and 3 tablespoons mix to a boil. Add the rice, butter and lemon peel. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until broth is absorbed. Yield: 3-4 servings per batch.
Originally published as Almond Rice Seasoning Mix in Quick Cooking November/December 2002, p46