Almond Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; add to sugar mixture alternately with milk. Beat until smooth. Stir in rhubarb and almonds. Pour into two greased 9-in. round baking pans.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine sugar and butter; stir in almonds. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 336 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 290mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Sep 9, 2011
Tasted great right out of the oven. Unfortunately, as it sat (overnight -- I planned to take it to a work function in the morning) it got soggy and the oil became really pronounced. You can actually taste the vegetable oil. I liked the initial flavors, though, so next time I'll try the "Makeover" version.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.