Almond Puff Pastries
My husband comes from a family of almond growers, so I use almonds often in my baking. These puff pastries have a crisp topping and creamy filling. —Barbara Harrison, Monte Sereno, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Confectioners' sugar
- Unfold pastry sheets onto a lightly floured surface. Cut each sheet into nine 3-in. squares. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets; set aside. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk and water; brush over pastry squares. In another bowl, beat egg white; add almonds and sugar. Spread over each square.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until well puffed and browned. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Split pastries in half horizontally. Fill with whipped cream; replace tops. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 302 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 103mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Almond Puff Pastries in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.