Almond Poppy Seed Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 5-1/2 dozen
- 3 eggs
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter flavoring or additional vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, milk, oil, extracts and butter flavoring. Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt; add to the egg mixture and mix just until combined. Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 115 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Nov 22, 2013
great. didn't even need the frosting.
Jul 28, 2013
I made 1/3 of the recipe into 6 cupcakes. Loved them!Used the Stevia/sugar baking blend at the half-the-sugar-called-for level; use white-wheat flour; baked the cupcakes for 25 minutes; added just a drop of almond extract in the frosting.The cupcake was not terribly sweet, but with the frosting they're quite wonderful!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.